Friday, June 10, 2022

A Parent Perspective by: Natalee's Mom

 My daughter has officially been gone a week on the Summer Ag Tour. I’m taking a break from crying to discuss my experience. I’m only joking. I did cry when she left, and I’ve gotten a little emotional a couple of times during phone calls, but that is only because I’ve never spent this much time away from her before.

As parents, I believe it’s very hard to find a balance of holding on and letting go, which is what these teenage years are all about. I am thankful for this awesome opportunity the Summer Ag Tour gives us. It allows us to give our kids some freedom from us parents while also knowing they are being guided and cared for by trustworthy teachers. I really couldn’t ask for a better scenario.The trip itself has been great so far. We have a family group chat with myself, my husband and both of our girls. Throughout the day, Natalee sends pictures and videos. She tells us about the cool things she is seeing and experiencing. It almost feels like we’re on the trip with her. When she has the opportunity she calls and just hearing the excitement in her voice makes all of us happy.My least favorite part of the trip so far would have to be receiving a text from Nat telling us how great the visit to Mississippi State University was and how she wants to be a bull dog in a few years. Her being gone for 10 days is enough of an adjustment, not sure how I will feel if she really does decide to go 10 hours away for college. At least I have a few more years to get her excited about some Florida schools. :)My favorite part of the trip so far is just knowing how passionate she is about Agriculture, and feeling that through her calls and texts. She is seeing and experiencing so many different aspects of possible future careers and that kind of up close and personal insight is so valuable.She says when she gets home she’s going to make a power point to show us all of the pictures and teach us about all of the things she’s learned. Let me tell you I can’t wait for that, and I can’t wait to give her a huge hug (even though she’s not a hugger). Maybe next year I’ll chaperone ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Until Next Year

  This is the final entry for Summer Ag Tour 2022. Look for next year's blog as we travel to Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Sp...